Focus ITIN Service

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the United States. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and is formatted like an SSN (Social Security Number) (e.g., 9XX-XX-XXXX). ITINs are used for federal tax reporting purposes for individuals who do not qualify for a Social Security Number (SSN).


Importance and Benefits of Having an ITIN

  • Tax Filing and Compliance: An ITIN allows individuals to comply with U.S. tax laws and provides a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for an SSN.
  • Tax Refunds: Individuals can use an ITIN to file their taxes and potentially receive a refund from the IRS if they have overpaid taxes.
  • Financial Services: Having an ITIN can help individuals open a U.S. bank account and apply for loans, as many financial institutions use it as a form of identification.
  • Credit Building: It can assist in building a credit history in the U.S. Some credit card companies and lenders will accept an ITIN as part of their application process to report to credit bureaus.
  • Employment Records: While ITINs are not work authorization, they can be used for tax purposes by individuals who are legally authorized to work in the U.S. but do not qualify for an SSN.


Where can I apply for an ITIN?

  • IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs): Apply in person for assistance.
  • By Mail: Send your Form W-7, proof of identity, and foreign status documents to the IRS.
  • Certified Acceptance Agents (CAAs): These agents are authorized by the IRS to help applicants in obtaining their ITINs.
  • Acceptance Agents (AAs): They assist with the application process but cannot certify identification documents.
  • Professional Tax Preparer: Many tax preparers can assist with the ITIN application as part of their tax return services.

When should I apply for an ITIN?

  • You are preparing to file a U.S. federal income tax return and do not have an SSN.
  • You receive a tax reporting document for income subject to U.S. tax.
  • You are a dependent or spouse of a U.S. taxpayer without an SSN.
  • You are instructed by the IRS for other tax-related purposes.

How long does it take to get an ITIN?

  • Standard Processing Time: Approximately 7 weeks for complete and accurate applications.
  • During Peak Tax Season: Processing may extend up to 11 weeks.
  • Incomplete or Incorrect Applications: Expect delays if additional documentation is required. Processing restarts from the date the IRS receives the missing information.

How can Focus help me obtain an ITIN?

  • Expert Guidance: Our team provides expert advice and guidance throughout the ITIN application process to ensure accuracy and compliance with IRS requirements.
  • Streamlined Process: We simplify the application process, helping you gather the necessary documentation and complete the Form W-7 accurately.
  • Fast and Reliable Service: We prioritize your application to ensure it’s processed as quickly as possible, aiming to minimize wait times.
  • Compliance Assurance: Our experts stay updated on the latest tax laws and IRS guidelines to ensure your application meets all regulatory standards.
  • Post-Application Support: After your ITIN is issued, we continue to offer support for any questions or further tax-related services you may need.

Note: For joint tax returns, apply for the ITIN when filing your taxes.

How to Apply for an ITIN for Your Spouse:

  • Form W-7: Fill out the IRS Form W-7 for an ITIN application.
  • Tax Return: Attach a federal tax return unless an exception applies.
  • Documents: Provide proof of identity and foreign status with original or certified copies.
  • Submission Options:
      1. Mail to the IRS with documentation.
      2. Apply in person at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.
      3. Use a Certified Acceptance Agent for assistance.
  • Processing Time: Expect about 7 weeks for standard processing.

If you need a Tax Identification Number (TIN) for your spouse who is not eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN), you can apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). The ITIN serves as a tax processing number for individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, an SSN.